Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Measure of Greatness

“For he who is least among you all is the one who is great.” To be known and remembered: it sounds so wonderful. It appeals to me. I desire to leave behind a legacy. But I cannot help but to see that I am wrong in it. I seek to be remembered, yet in remembrance of me, Christ is forgotten. I seek to be known for something long after my soul has departed this earth, but as I strive for my own fame, I have come to know two things. As long as my goal in life is to be remembered for something great, I will never attain something great enough to be remembered for, and I will never be the man that God intends for me to be. No one whose name has been passed down through history wearing the garments of greatness has ever sought to do so, because to be focused on self takes away from the nature of greatness. It is those who focused on someone or something other than themselves that were carried through history by the tidal wave of fame. But many great men and women never were remembered for their greatness, yet I say they did leave behind a legacy, but their legacy was not their own. It is the legacy of a man they spent their lives making famous instead of themselves. Everyone these people met knew who they loved. Everyone knew that they found their greatest joy in making much of Jesus Christ. Will I be known the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment